DDS HOME                   CONTACT US

Permit Requirements by Building Type




Simple repairs to replace railings, balusters, and some treads do not require drawings. Replacement of a full stair run and any structural component will require some type of drawing to illustrate how the work will be completed. Information about the type of connections and how installed will be required on the drawings. The drawn views shall include a plan view with dimensions, an elevation dimensioning heights and distances, and at least one section view illustrating how the deck is attached to the existing structure and / or braced as a standalone. If the deck is enclosed and covered, suitable details and information to satisfy the requirements of the code must be indicated on the drawings.




When replacing shingles, the shingle weight per square foot is necessary to verify that the allowed dead load will not be exceeded. When rafters are being replaced, their size, spacing, and form of attachment must be indicated on the submitted drawing. This information should indicate whether there is an overhang, where the venting occurs, type of flashing, whether the shingles are open or closed, and the pitch of the roof. If gutters are installed, identify if the rain water leaders discharge onto splash pads or into an underground drainage system.

When installing onto a new flat surface, provide drawn information for material installed, gutters, roof drains and overflows, insulation and pitch, scuppers and scuttles, and rain water leaders to boots or splash pads. Existing flat surfaces being repaired requires manufacturer information for product being installed and some indication of the warranty satisfaction.





Replacement windows are to have information to verify they comply with the current energy code for U-value. When replacing windows in the bedroom, notation must be provided to indicate size and proximity to the finish floor for egress reasons. The application and / or the drawing must indicate the number of units being replaced and how many are bedroom conditions.




Replacing interior non-rated doors do not require drawings. When installing apartment unit entry doors, rated units may be required. The application and / or the drawing must indicate the number of units being replaced and where each is located.




New Construction 

New residential structures will require a full set of drawings that include site and civil, structural, architectural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing information in full compliance with the code. They are not required to be stamped and signed by a design professional unless the total square footage exceeds 5,000.

New commercial structures require a full set of drawn documents in full compliance with the code. A third-party peer review and a Statement of Special Inspections will be necessary if the structure exceeds 150,000 square feet.





Temporary tents require a Certificate of Flame Resistance for every tent where a permit is required. A drawing is necessary to locate all tents on the site and should depict the size of each. On the application, the date of installation and the date of removal must be indicated.





Whether pre-manufactured or built from the ground up, all sheds must be anchored to the ground in some fashion. When applying for your building permit, we need the size and location of the structure. The location is to be shown on a scaled drawing that locates your shed a minimum of 3 feet away from the property lines. You should query your pre-manufactured vendor of their anchorage kit options. Verify if you are in a historic district before application.





Signs installed with post, bases, or pylons will also require a building permit and drawings that show the base support material and conditions. Otherwise, the single Sign Permit Application is usually all that is required.





When a complete gut or selective demolition has been performed, drawings will be necessary to determine the extent of work necessary for the permit when walls are installed or modified. The drawings are to indicate all material and obvious conditions to complete the work and should be completed in compliance with the requirements of the code. This understanding is also required for “tenant fit-out”.




Swimming Pools

When a permit is required, pool installations require a drawing to locate the pool on site. The drawing, or additional documents, is to indicate the location of the fencing around the pool or the conditions that satisfy this requirement of the code. In addition, it should be indicated the need of a pool sensor. The Building Permit Application should indicate the size of the pool for length, width, and depth.





Installing new siding over rotted wood is not permitted. New siding will require suitable substrates prior to installation.



Housing, Economic Development, Planning & Zoning is located at 250 Constitution Plaza, 4th Floor
   Licenses & Inspections is located at 260 Constitution Plaza, Ground Floor

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM