Before beginning the building permit application process, download the Building Permit Application form, and read the Building Permit Application Instructions and Permit Requirements for various types of construction.
1. Applicant must appear at Licenses and Inspections to apply for a building permit. The applicant can be the building owner or his agent. Permit fees indicated from the permit fee schedule must be paid at the time of application. Effective July 1, 2014 permit fees will be $25.26 per thousand.
2. Applicant must submit two sets minimum of plans drawn to scale, signed and sealed by a registered design professional, when required, including the site plan where necessary. Submit one set of plans for the Fire Marshall when necessary, and obtain approved floor plans for food establishments as applicable, from the Health Department.
3. If the new building or addition exceeds the threshold limit as described in the building code, obtain a third party review.
4. Submit a statement of special inspections if the construction involves structural engineering as described in the building code.
5. Application and plans will be reviewed and permits issued or letters sent to applicants stating why permits cannot be issued, within 30 days of the date of application.
6. An approved permit gives permission to start the work. Proceeding with work prior to receipt of permit is a violation of the law.
7. The owner or his/ her agent must call for periodic inspections during construction.
8. Upon satisfactory completion of the work and passing the final inspections, a certificate of occupancy (C.O.) will be issued where applicable. All fees must be paid in full prior to the issuance of a C.O.
Commercial Work Exempt From Permits
Residential Work Exempt From Permits
Temporary Permit Fee Schedule
Office of Licenses and Inspections
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford CT, 06103
Tel (860) 757-9200
Fax (860) 722-6333
Office Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm