Building and Trade Inspections

Building Permit Application Instructions

Expand Building and Trade Inspections Menu [ + ]

Select a Department

Building Permit Application Instructions

There are 12 parts to completing the new building permit application. Not all will be applicable to you but you should be aware of their presence on the form and why:

  1. Address of Work: Indicate the number and street where the work will take place.
  2. Location (Floor #, Unit#): In apartment buildings, the unit # is important, otherwise indicate the floor (1, 2, 3, attic, basement or all floors and indicate how many).
  3. Project/Activity: Residential, Commercial, or Other requires that you select one. Where it is "Other”, that could be a garage, carport, shed, retaining wall, swimming pool or deck.
  4. Construction Work:
    1. New: a new habitable structure, shed, garage, carport, retaining wall, swimming pool, or deck where there was never one there before.
    2. Addition: adding to an existing habitable structure, shed, garage, retaining wall, swimming pool or deck that is already there.
    3. Alteration: is usually about changing the interior of a space with new walls and layout configuration, sometimes called a renovation, or the exterior face of a structure (siding) or an exterior structure (garage, shed, carport or deck).
    4. Repair: major interior and exterior repairs to walls, roof, and decks that are generally structural or an element that is protective in nature.
    5. Replace: changing windows, doors, or sheetrock.
    6. Temporary: tents for special events, construction trailers, signs or scaffolding.
  5. Change of Occupancy: Is it “Yes” or “No”? Indicate the existing use and the proposed use. This is important because the Zoning division will help determine if this use is allowed. It is strongly recommended that you consult with that division before applying for a building permit since a public hearing may be necessary for your proposed use in some cases.
  6. Code Choice: What code was used in the development of your documents, if any? This is usually selected by the design professional.
  7. Property Owner: This information should match what is available from the Assessor’s office. If you are a new owner, bring signature pages from the purchase transaction and be sure to file with the assessor immediately.
  8. Contractor/CID: Most building contractors are required to be registered with the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection and are issued registration numbers. This registration number is for the Home Improvement or New Home Contractor. Licenses and Inspections also use a CID (Contractor Identification number) to further keep track of those doing business with the City.
  9. Design Professional: is only for the licensed architect or engineer of the drawings.
  10. Description of Work: this is where you tell us about your project as concise but thorough as possible.
  11. Estimated Construction Cost: the cost of labor and material for construction only. Do not include electrical, mechanical, plumbing or fire protection in this estimate as those costs are covered under their own permit.
  12. Affidavit and Agreement: you select whether you are the owner of the property or the authorized agent (contractor). After reading the statement, you complete the requested information and sign the document.Worker’s Compensation Information:

On the reverse side of all permit applications is the required State of Connecticut Worker’s Compensation Commission affidavit for property owners and sole proprietors (Conn. Gen. Stat. 31-286b).

If you have already submitted insurance information to the office of Licenses and Inspections, there is a box labeled “On file” that should be checked and no other information is required on this side of the application. Do not check that box if your insurance has lapsed or if you have not notified the office of renewal.

Below that “On file” box is a line for your insurance expiration date. Again, if you have up-to-date credentials in the office, there is no need to write anything here.

Indicate the location of the Property where the work will take place.

The work will be in Hartford.

Indicate the name of the Applicant who signed on the front of the application.

You will be asked to check one of two lines. The first line will ask if you are the Property Owner and the second line is asking if you are the sole proprietor of the company retained to do the work.

Indicate the Name of your business and your Federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN).

If you checked that you are the Owner of the property, proceed to line 1, under Pursuant to 31-286b, where it indicates that you will NOT act as a general contractor and check it and sign your name and stop.

If you checked sole proprietor, proceed to line 2, under Pursuant to 31-286b, where it indicates that you WILL act as a general contractor and check it and proceed to “Affidavit” and sign where it says “Signature of applicant” and stop.

Notice that this information can be completed prior to visiting the office if it is notarized in the designated area at the bottom of the form.

Click to Expand Menu [ + ]

Licenses and Inspection Contact

Office of Licenses and Inspections
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford CT, 06103
Tel (860) 757-9200
Fax (860) 722-6333
Office Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Permit Application
Submission: 8:30am - 12:30pm

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM