Building and Trade Inspections

Building and Trades

Expand Building and Trade Inspections Menu [ + ]

Select a Department

Building Permit Application Instructions

There are 12 parts to completing the new building permit application. Not all will be applicable to you but you should be aware of their presence on the form and why:

  1. Address of Work: Indicate the number and street where the work will take place.
  2. Location (Floor #, Unit#): In apartment buildings, the unit # is important, otherwise indicate the floor (1, 2, 3, attic, basement or all floors and indicate how many).
  3. Project/Activity: Residential, Commercial, or Other requires that you select one. Where it is "Other”, that could be a garage, carport, shed, retaining wall, swimming pool or deck.
  4. Construction Work:
    1. New: a new habitable structure, shed, garage, carport, retaining wall, swimming pool, or deck where there was never one there before.
    2. Addition: adding to an existing habitable structure, shed, garage, retaining wall, swimming pool or deck that is already there.
    3. Alteration: is usually about changing the interior of a space with new walls and layout configuration, sometimes called a renovation, or the exterior face of a structure (siding) or an exterior structure (garage, shed, carport or deck).
    4. Repair: major interior and exterior repairs to walls, roof, and decks that are generally structural or an element that is protective in nature.
    5. Replace: changing windows, doors, or sheetrock.
    6. Temporary: tents for special events, construction trailers, signs or scaffolding.
  5. Change of Occupancy: Is it “Yes” or “No”? Indicate the existing use and the proposed use. This is important because the Zoning division will help determine if this use is allowed. It is strongly recommended that you consult with that division before applying for a building permit since a public hearing may be necessary for your proposed use in some cases.
  6. Code Choice: What code was used in the development of your documents, if any? This is usually selected by the design professional.
  7. Property Owner: This information should match what is available from the Assessor’s office. If you are a new owner, bring signature pages from the purchase transaction and be sure to file with the assessor immediately.
  8. Contractor/CID: Most building contractors are required to be registered with the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection and are issued registration numbers. This registration number is for the Home Improvement or New Home Contractor. Licenses and Inspections also use a CID (Contractor Identification number) to further keep track of those doing business with the City.
  9. Design Professional: is only for the licensed architect or engineer of the drawings.
  10. Description of Work: this is where you tell us about your project as concise but thorough as possible.
  11. Estimated Construction Cost: the cost of labor and material for construction only. Do not include electrical, mechanical, plumbing or fire protection in this estimate as those costs are covered under their own permit.
  12. Affidavit and Agreement: you select whether you are the owner of the property or the authorized agent (contractor). After reading the statement, you complete the requested information and sign the document.Worker’s Compensation Information:

On the reverse side of all permit applications is the required State of Connecticut Worker’s Compensation Commission affidavit for property owners and sole proprietors (Conn. Gen. Stat. 31-286b).

If you have already submitted insurance information to the office of Licenses and Inspections, there is a box labeled “On file” that should be checked and no other information is required on this side of the application. Do not check that box if your insurance has lapsed or if you have not notified the office of renewal.

Below that “On file” box is a line for your insurance expiration date. Again, if you have up-to-date credentials in the office, there is no need to write anything here.

Indicate the location of the Property where the work will take place.

The work will be in Hartford.

Indicate the name of the Applicant who signed on the front of the application.

You will be asked to check one of two lines. The first line will ask if you are the Property Owner and the second line is asking if you are the sole proprietor of the company retained to do the work.

Indicate the Name of your business and your Federal Employee Identification Number (FEIN).

If you checked that you are the Owner of the property, proceed to line 1, under Pursuant to 31-286b, where it indicates that you will NOT act as a general contractor and check it and sign your name and stop.

If you checked sole proprietor, proceed to line 2, under Pursuant to 31-286b, where it indicates that you WILL act as a general contractor and check it and proceed to “Affidavit” and sign where it says “Signature of applicant” and stop.

Notice that this information can be completed prior to visiting the office if it is notarized in the designated area at the bottom of the form.

Requirements for Types of Building Permits

Permit Requirements:

Deck – Simple repairs to replace railings, balusters, and some treads do not require drawings. Replacement of a full stair run and any structural component will require some type of drawing to illustrate how the work will be completed. Information about the type of connections and how installed will be required on the drawings. The drawn views shall include a plan view with dimensions, an elevation dimensioning heights and distances, and at least one section view illustrating how the deck is attached to the existing structure and / or braced as a standalone. If the deck is enclosed and covered, suitable details and information to satisfy the requirements of the code must be indicated on the drawings.

Roof – When replacing shingles, the shingle weight per square foot is necessary to verify that the allowed dead load will not be exceeded. When rafters are being replaced, their size, spacing, and form of attachment must be indicated on the submitted drawing. This information should indicate whether there is an overhang, where the venting occurs, type of flashing, whether the shingles are open or closed, and the pitch of the roof. If gutters are installed, identify if the rain water leaders discharge onto splash pads or into an underground drainage system.

When installing onto a new flat surface, provide drawn information for material installed, gutters, roof drains and overflows, insulation and pitch, scuppers and scuttles, and rain water leaders to boots or splash pads. Existing flat surfaces being repaired requires manufacturer information for product being installed and some indication of the warranty satisfaction.

Windows – Replacement windows are to have information to verify they comply with the current energy code for U-value. When replacing windows in the bedroom, notation must be provided to indicate size and proximity to the finish floor for egress reasons. The application and / or the drawing must indicate the number of units being replaced and how many are bedroom conditions.

Doors – Replacing interior non-rated doors do not require drawings. When installing apartment unit entry doors, rated units may be required. The application and / or the drawing must indicate the number of units being replaced and where each is located.

New Construction – New residential structures will require a full set of drawings that include site and civil, structural, architectural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing information in full compliance with the code. They are not required to be stamped and signed by a design professional unless the total square footage exceeds 5,000.

New commercial structures require a full set of drawn documents in full compliance with the code. A third-party peer review and a Statement of Special Inspections will be necessary if the structure exceeds 150,000 square feet.

Tents – Temporary tents require a Certificate of Flame Resistance for every tent where a permit is required. A drawing is necessary to locate all tents on the site and should depict the size of each. On the application, the date of installation and the date of removal must be indicated.

Shed – Whether pre-manufactured or built from the ground up, all sheds must be anchored to the ground in some fashion. When applying for your building permit, we need the size and location of the structure. The location is to be shown on a scaled drawing that locates your shed a minimum of 3 feet away from the property lines. You should query your pre-manufactured vendor of their anchorage kit options. Verify if you are in a historic district before application.

Signs – Signs installed with post, bases, or pylons will also require a building permit and drawings that show the base support material and conditions. Otherwise, the single Sign Permit Application is usually all that is required.

Renovations – When a complete gut or selective demolition has been performed, drawings will be necessary to determine the extent of work necessary for the permit when walls are installed or modified. The drawings are to indicate all material and obvious conditions to complete the work and should be completed in compliance with the requirements of the code. This understanding is also required for “tenant fit-out”.

Swimming Pools – When a permit is required, pool installations require a drawing to locate the pool on site. The drawing, or additional documents, is to indicate the location of the fencing around the pool or the conditions that satisfy this requirement of the code. In addition, it should be indicated the need of a pool sensor. The Building Permit Application should indicate the size of the pool for length, width, and depth.

Siding – Installing new siding over rotted wood is not permitted. New siding will require suitable substrates prior to installation.

Over the counter approvals:

  1. Electric service change and upgrades
  2. Siding if non-historic
  3. Hot water tank replacement
  4. Boiler / Furnace replacements
  5. Non-structural porch and deck repairs (not replacement)
  6. Roofing if non-historic
  7. Replacement and new window unit installations at existing openings


Click to Expand Menu [ + ]

Licenses and Inspection Contact

Office of Licenses and Inspections
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford CT, 06103
Tel (860) 757-9200
Fax (860) 722-6333
Office Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Permit Application
Submission: 8:30am - 12:30pm

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM