
Eddie A. Perez
Mayor
LOST AND STOLEN GUN BILL PASSES HOUSE
MAYOR PEREZ URGES GOVERNOR TO SIGN IT INTO LAW
--NEWS RELEASE---
(June 5, 2007)--- Mayor Eddie A. Perez congratulates the State House of Representatives for joining their Senate colleagues and passing the lost and stolen gun bill. SB 938, co-sponsored by State Rep. Kelvin Roldan, passed last night by the significant margin of 94-56-1.
Mayor Perez says, “Even though not all members of the Hartford delegation voted to bring the bill to the floor, I am pleased that this measure now awaits the Governor’s signature. This is a strong crime-fighting tool for the officers in all of our cities and towns. I urge Governor Rell to sign the bill into law.”
The state version of this bill requires gun owners to report lost or stolen guns within 72 hours. The first infraction would be a fine of up $90. Any subsequent infractions would be a Class D felony that could mean jail time and a fine of up to $5000, making a person ineligible to purchase a gun.
The City of Hartford already has a gun ordinance in effect. It too requires residents to report lost or stolen guns within 72 hours. However, it also contains the provision that would enable Corporation Counsel to sue anyone, anywhere, who failed to do so and that gun is then used in a felony in Hartford.
Last year, Hartford Police retrieved 500 illegal guns from the streets. 93-percent of these guns came from out of town. Mayor Perez says, “Hartford’s ordinance, and hopefully soon state support on this issue, will help all cities and towns fight to reduce gun violence.”