Click To Expand Menu [ + ]

Select a Department

Elizabeth Park

Elizabeth Park On August 30, 1894 the will of Former Parks Commissioner Charles H. Pond set aside, as a gift to the City of Hartford, about 90 acres in the Northwest section of the township. Additionally, 5 Acres were purchased from J.C. Gaines, 2.5 Acres from B. Loomis, and other Westside lands, unnamed amount, were given by Mr. and Mrs. J. English in 1898. Commissioner Pond asked that the Park be named for his wife, Elizabeth. By 1898 Elizabeth Park had become the Nursery growing grounds for city wide parks and was referred to as the "Nursery and the Farmstead". The original design, by Theodore Wirth, dates to 1900. The famous Rose Garden was created under Wirth's design and guidance beginning in 1903.

Hartford (east lawn)    19.6 acres

West Hartford (west section) 81.85 acres

Total :                       101.45 acres

Elizabeth Park West 81.85 acres
9 Tennis Courts
1 Little League Baseball Field
1 Pondhouse   
1 Pond
1 Hiking Trail
1 Rose Garden
4 Greenhouses
2 Lawn Bowling/Croquet Fields
Picnic Area & Grills
Elizabeth Park East 19.6 acres
2 Basketball Courts
1 Landscape Overlook
2 Softball (non regulation)
2 Little League Baseball Fields
1 Hiking Trail
1 Playscape

There is an interesting chronology of introductions in the Elizabeth park landscape for its early twentieth century development. These include a small public library in the Pond House with books provided by the Hartford Public Library established by the Civic Club (1900); the rose collection start-up (1897); the rustic shelter erected in the Rose Garden (1903) and thereafter completely rebuilt (1932). The garden contained over five hundred varieties and became the national test grounds for roses and the first municipal rose garden in the country. A stone bridge was also added (1905); Bowling Green Shelter (1935) which was a FERA (Federal Emergency Relief Administration) project; and a new Refectory Building (1919). Elizabeth Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 10th, 1983. In researching the history of Elizabeth Park a series of plans were located in the Parks and Recreation Department archives at Colt Park.

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM