Parks

    

Bushnell Park 

Bushnell Park (1854) is located in the heart of downtown Hartford. It features  an historic carousel and numerous monuments such as the Corning Fountain. Bushnell Park is the site of many major events each year, including the Greater Hartford Festival of Jazz and the Hartford Marathon.

Important Links

    

Colt Park 

Colt Park (1905) The 114 acre park was established from the former Armsmear Estate of Samuel Colt and Elizabeth Jarvis Colt, which was gifted to the city upon Elizabeth’s death in 1905. Today the park is home to playscapes, a swimming pool and splash pads, sports fields, Dillon Stadium and historical buildings. Colt Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 8, 1976. The grounds were originally developed in High Victorian Gothic style, and served as Colt's exclusive "pleasure-grounds." It was complete with large reflecting pools, rustic furnishings, fountains, urns, statuary, artificial ponds for fish and foul, a deer park, orchards, fields and more. 

Important Links

    

Elizabeth Park 

Opened in 1897, Elizabeth Park is the horticultural gem of the Hartford park system, with its many gardens, sweeping vistas, notable trees, and greenhouses. It is home to the first public rose garden (1904) in the country.  Elizabeth Park has tennis and basketball courts, ball fields, a playground, lawn bowling courts, and walking paths. The Pond House Cafe, located within the park, is open to the public for lunch and dinner, and has a take-out window in season. 

Important Links

    

Goodwin Park 

Goodwin Park’s 237 acres, is located in the south end of Hartford and extends into the town of Wethersfield.  The Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (April 26, 1822 – August 28, 1903) who was an American landscape architect, journalist, social critic, and public administrator. He is popularly considered to be the father of American landscape architecture. Olmsted was famous for co-designing many well-known urban  parks with his senior partner Calvert Vaux. Goodwin Park offers areas for quiet contemplation as well as opportunities for more vigorous activities. Some of the features at Goodwin Park are tennis courts, basketball courts and a softball diamond, Pond House, playscape and spray pad for the children, fitness circuit and two trails, an Olympic size pool and picnic areas. Fishing is permitted in threes ponds, on the areas not adjacent to the golf course during the fishing season as established by the State of Connecticut. Goodwin Park also offers a 27-hole golf course on the border of Hartford and Wethersfield. The Championship course measures just over 6000 yards from the back tees and plays to a par 70.  Golf has been played in the 120 year old park since 1906. The number of rounds played in 2017 was 21,933! The course offers excellent greens, breathtaking view of Hartford skyline and a quiet setting close to the City.

Important Links

    

Hyland and Rocky Ridge Park 

Hyland and Rocky Ridge Parks (1903). Theodore Wirth, park superintendent, developed the park design plan. Rocky Ridge and Hyland Parks were opened for public use on April 24, 1911 after acquisition of an additional southern portion in August, 1907 which was named Hyland Park. Rocky Ridge Park was acquired in 1892 from a partial exchange of land originally owned by Trinity College. Hyland has 2 baseball playing fields, a basketball court, a tee-ball field, and playscape and splashpad, and an artificial turf field that supports baseball and soccer.

Important Links

  • Map which includes amenities and their locations (Coming Soon)

    

Keney Park 

 Keney Park (1896) is one of the largest public parks in New England with 693.6-acres. The park’s natural look was designed as a series of typical regional landscapes, including meadows and forests. The 18-hole Keney Park Golf Course was designed by Devereux Emmet and opened for play in 1927.  The course and clubhouse were renovated by the City beginning in 2014, and the course is now rated by Golfweek Magazine and the second best public golf course in Connecticut. Fishing is permitted at Waltermere Pond in Keney Park during the fishing season as established by the State of Connecticut.

Important Links

    

Pope Park 

Pope Park (1895) was donated to the City of Hartford by industrialist Colonel Albert Pope for his employees and City residents to enjoy games, walking and out-of-door activities. It was designed by the Olmsted Brothers Landscape Architects in 1898. The Park is 79 acres in size and has two athletic fields, a recreation center, a pond, basketball courts and other amenities.  The existing little league field is set for replacement in 2019.

Important Links

    

Riverside Park (Riverside Recapture)

Riverside Park is a bustling Connecticut River park with a boathouse and banquet hall, a boat launch, picnic facilities, trails and playgrounds. The park also has a cricket field, an adventure challenge course and fishing access to the Connecticut River.  Originally designed by the Frederick Law Olmstead firm in 1899, the park has undergone significant changes over the years as a result of the filling of wetlands and construction of the interstate highway. Fishing is permitted at Riverfront, Riverside and Charter Oak Parks during the fishing season as established by the State of Connecticut.

Important Links

   

Sigourney Square Park

Sigourney Square (1895) is a square block that was conceived with a simple "X" walk pattern connecting its four corners and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district on January 16, 1979. Sigourney Square was originally part of the old Town Farm area, a forgotten burial ground of forty-nine smallpox victims buried in 1872. In 1872 the City extended the street north beyond Ashley to Sargeant and named it Sigourney Street commemorating Lydia Sigourney of Hartford, "America's first professional woman author".  The park hosts a splashpad, playscape, basketball courts and picnic tables.

Important Links

    

Small / Pocket Parks

Bond Street Parkette - 0.40 acres

The Bond Street Parkette became a public park on June 13, 1899. Its origin and original design are not known. The existing conditions are the remnants of the plan titled Proposed Bond Street "Parkette" that was generated by the Parks and Recreation Department, dated September 1963.

Forster Heights - 2.80 acres

Located on Amherst and Harvard Streets, Forster Heights Playground was acquired on July 1st, 1954. Following a Court of Common Council Resolution on June 13, 1960 construction was initiated. The playground opened July 25, 1962.  It presently hosts a splashpad, playscape, a basketball court and picnic areas

George Day Park - 0.60 acres

Located on Orange and Arbor Streets, the park has a basketball court, splashpad, a small community garden and picnic tables. 

Rice Heights - 4.07 acres

A resolution by the Court of Common Council to negotiate for, condemn and acquire this property was passed on March 27, 1961. It was designated for playground use, adjacent to a public housing project, by the Housing Authority.

Pulaski Mall - 1.20 acres

The Pulaski Mall site was acquired in the late 1960s for a public housing project. Its original name was the Sheldon Oak Mall on project drawings that date from the 1970s, for which an aerial sketch is shown. This entire landscape is relatively recent, with initial construction dating to the 1970s. The new playscape is most recent improvement and dates from 1989.

 

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM