4 Community Pools Will Also Be Open To Residents
(June 21, 2012) --- Mayor Pedro E. Segarra announced this evening that the 4 community pools will be open tomorrow, June 22, from 9:00AM until 8:00PM; with open swim scheduled from 1PM-4PM.
Earlier on Thursday, June 21, the Pope Park pool was closed due to running water in the bathroom. As a result of the quick efforts of the Department of Family, Children, Youth & Recreation, as well as the Departments of Public Works and Health & Human Services, necessary repairs we made within two hours and the pool was reopened by 4:00PM.
Further, the Mayor noted that the following streets have been identified by the Hartford Fire Department for hydrant sprinklers on Friday, which will be operational from 12:00 Noon until 5:00PM:
• Martin Street, between Capen and Nelson Streets
• Bedford Street, between Mather Street and Albany Ave
• Winter Street, between Green and Brook Streets
• Gilman Street, between Campfield and George Streets
• McKinley Street, between South and Roosevelt Streets
• Wolcott Street, between Ward and Park Streets
The Mayor cautioned residents to not open hydrants on their own. Doing this poses numerous health and safety risks and could place dramatic strain on the City's water system. As of 6:30PM, the Hartford Fire Department had responded to over 30 locations to close hydrants that had been opened by the public.
The following cooling centers will also be open from 12:00 Noon until 5:00PM:
• North End Senior Center, 80 Coventry Street
• South End Wellness Center, 830 Maple Avenue
• Parkville Senior Center, 11 New Park Avenue
• Hispanic Health Council, 175 Main Street
• NEW: Hispanic Senior Center, 45 Wadsworth Street
The Mayor also again reminded residents and visitors to stay hydrated (while avoiding liquids that contain caffeine, alcohol or large amounts of sugar); avoid being out in the sun too long if it's at all possible; have the phone number of your family doctor clearly posted next to your phone (and stored in your cellular phone); check on family or neighbors who may need assistance; and never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.