Click To Expand Menu [ + ]

Select a Department


Motor Vehicles Questions



Q: If I am being improperly billed for a motor vehicle. What should I do?

A: Contact the Assessor's Office at (860) 757-9648, or by fax at (860) 722-6142DO NOT IGNORE YOUR BILL!

 Q: I recently replaced a vehicle, and received a tax bill on the old vehicle. Do I have to pay it?

A: Yes. If you replaced one vehicle with another, and used the same license plates, you must pay on the “old” vehicle in July. In December, you will receive a pro-rated Supplemental motor vehicle tax bill, payable by February 1 for the new vehicle. This bill will reflect a credit for the amount you should have paid in July on the old vehicle. You will receive this credit without having to apply for it. However, you must have paid the entire amount due on the old vehicle in July. If you obtained new license plates for the new vehicle, you must apply for a credit. Contact the Assessors Office at (860) 757-9648 or by fax at (860) 722-6142.


Real Estate Questions

Q: My real estate tax bill should be paid by my bank or mortgage company; I received the tax bill in the mail directly from the City. What should I do?

A: Immediately, contact the bank / mortgage company for instructions of where to send the tax bill. (The address may be printed in your mortgage payment coupon book.) After you have the information, make a copy of your bill, circle the dollar amount of the real estate payment due, write your loan number on it, and immediately forward it to your escrow agent or mortgage company. Additional instructions may be available on the web site of your bank/mortgage company.

Q: I recently bought (or sold) a house in Hartford, and I have a question about what I owe. What should I do?

A: The property tax bills due in July will reflect ownership changes recorded through early May. If you recently purchased property in Hartford, and have not received a real estate tax bill, call the Tax Collector’s Office immediately at (860) 757-9630, or fax to (860) 722-6085, to request a copy. Check with the Assessor’s Office to ensure their records have been updated. Payment must be made by August 1, whether or not a bill has been received! If you recently sold property in Hartford, and received a tax bill for the property, contact the Assessor’s Office at (860) 757-9648, or by fax (860) 722-6142.

Click to Expand Menu [ + ]

Tax Contact

Tax Collection Office
Address: 550 Main St
Room 106
Hartford, CT 06103
Office: (860) 757-9630
Fax: (860) 722-6085

Office Hours:
Mon - Wed 8:15am - 2:00pm
Thurs 8:15am - 7:00pm
Fri 8:15am - 2:30 pm

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM